Thursday, January 28, 2010

Last Day Observations on Marriage

I recently grieved the loss of a friendship I'd had for over twenty years. In discussing this amongst my intimate circle of confidants, I realized he may have thought I might publicly "out" him. It hurt to think he would have thought such a thing but I realize how I come across to most; my transparency and honesty can be easily misinterpreted as not knowing when or how to keep a secret. This couldn't be furthest from the truth especially in matters as sensitive as this. I know first-hand what it feels like to be mistreated and shunned because of ones sexuality. The rejection, real or imagined, can be worse than a thousand lashes on an already broken back. I'd gladly tie a millstone around my neck and be the first to dive into the deepest river.


American society and culture is rushing headlong into a free for all. In my opinion, there is no way to stop this. Personally, I view it as a fulfillment of Scripture. The Ancients were able, through divine inspiration of Holy Spirit, to foretell what life would be like in the here and now. I know, I know, people have been saying we are in the last days for over two millenia. But if you ask me, we have arrived. This is the final hour before the clock strikes midnight and a new day begins. This being the case, many things have to come to fruition. Not to sound depressing but 9/11 will look like a two year old's tantrum before it is all said and done. Don't take my word for it. Read up on it. Jesus himself spoke of these days in detail and one of his sayings is what I want to help bring to light here.


Jesus proclaimed: "As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man." (Matthew 24:37-39)


We live in a fast food generation. 24/7 if you want it, you got it. I did a quick search on the subject of food consumption and came up with the following statistics...In 2005 the United States spent $496 billion annually for out-of-home dining. I don't know about you but that sounds like a great deal of eating out! Wikipedia says: "Food is now traded and marketed on a global basis. The variety and availability of food is no longer restricted by the diversity of locally grown food or the limitations of the local growing season.[32] Between 1961 and 1999, there has been a 400% increase in worldwide food exports.[33] Some countries are now economically dependent on food exports, which in some cases account for over 80% of all exports.[34] 


This is truly the age of consumption when you stop and think about it.


What about marriage? Seriously, do you honestly think Jesus made such a statement and only foresaw heterosexual marriages being performed at an increasing rate? I don't think so. Whether you want to accept or believe that Jesus was for or against same-sex marriage is between you and the company you keep. I myself travel and move among sincere and passionate individuals who would rather see men like me in prison or burning on a stake than be a witness to my union with another man.  God bless them. I mean that. I need to bless those who curse me no matter how sincere they are in their approach and beliefs. I refuse to let anyone define me, especially another human who is just as imperfect as I am, but I also refuse to lower myself to their level and fight fire with fire. Far better to love our enemies and serve them than join in the present-day tug of war being waged around us.  Not an easy thing to accomplish in light of the fact that so many feel they need to stand up for God. 


We love God so much we become blinded to the fact that HE fights for us and not the other way around. When we do the latter we run into the error of hurting and alienating those He came for in the first place. We become stumbling blocks in our attempts to fight for God. Believe me people, God can fight His own battles way better than you or I will ever be able to. 


So if you ask me, if I am for or against gay marriage, I will tell you it is none of my concern who you want to marry or go to bed with. I will have to answer to God for my actions and not of others. I aim to treat all men the same. I aim to view sin not as a hierarchy but as a condition of the heart; a heart which lives for its own gain and does not look for the good of others and is in need of loving redemption. So many of us forget who Jesus hung out with most...tax collectors, prostitutes, outcasts, broken vessels. Am I sermonizing? Sorry, don't mean to but I guess it hurts me to think if Jesus was here right now walking the streets of New York City, according to some, he would never venture into Chelsea or Greenwich Village. According to some, he would never walk into a bar and order a beer. Forget about attending a Lady GaGa concert or sitting down to watch a sitcom and laugh for half an hour.


I want to be where he is. I want to go to places He goes to. I don't want to hide behind my interpretation of the Bible and practice man-made and vain traditions and call it Christianity. If we could only see what a turn-off we become to many and how this grieves God's heart. We are so quick to judge others but forget that judgment begins at home, right here, inside you and me who call ourselves followers. 


May we learn to carry small rulers in our dealing with others not like us and live lives rich and abounding in mercy. The mercy that triumphs over judgment when it counts, when it is most needed, and will one day be poured out over our lives in equal measure. How will He be able to show us mercy if we never showed it to others?




Crooked Notes by Idilio Rivera is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

No comments:

Post a Comment