Monday, January 18, 2010

Song in the Ruins

 I have been following the news coverage concerning Haiti like so many others. The stories coming forth out of this catastrophe have been heart-wrenching and sobering to watch. Thousands have lost their lives. Thousands more lie wounded and destitute. Yet, I am noticing a pattern in all the suffering and devastation. Just finished watching a story about a woman trapped under the rubble of her house, injured but alive. Six days later and she is still alive...I simply can't fathom what she has had to endure in the dark, with no food or water, and bones crushed. She was finally set free and as she is being taken out on a stretcher her first words ring out amid the ruins; "Thank you, God!" and immediately goes into song. "Do not fear Death..." her anthem declares and as I hear the reporter share this story of survival I am once again humbled and inspired. Humbled to witness such strength, thanksgiving, and heartfelt praise being lived out in the here and now. Humbled also at realizing I have so much, yet in my prosperity and abundance, which I take for granted every day, I forget to give thanks. I forget how truly fortunate I am in my New York state of mind. The poorest among us here live like royalty in comparison to others elsewhere.


What am I doing to help those in need? What blessings have I forgotten about that I should give thanks for? How can I serve right now and do my part to contribute to the relief efforts going on? What changes can I incorporate into my life to maintain a lifestyle of thanksgiving and service and what will be my song in my midst?


Creative Commons LicenseCrooked Notes by Idilio Rivera is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

2 comments:

  1. In addition to donating money what, if anything, would be appropriate to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to donate gently used clothing items.

    ReplyDelete