Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A World without Poverty or Neglect

I haven't written in quite some time. I was hoping to make this blogging thingy a daily part of life but like everything else, I just don't have enough hours in the day to dedicate to it. Besides, not much going on these days. Life is good but the excitement and passion needed in order to write has taken a backseat to this daily battle with physical pain.

Doctor prescribed Vicodin and some other pill to ease the inflammation. I am experiencing a great deal of pain when using the bathroom. Both number one and two are uncomfortable, to say the least. You just don't know and realize what a beautiful thing the body is when it is functioning as it should but when something goes haywire you notice the difference immediately. For the most part, I'm doing a pretty good job at managing this pain and working through it. I have to. I don't have the luxury to lay around and rest until I am one hundred percent well. Bills need to be paid and responsibilities looked after. Feel me? I'm sure you do. In short, I am determined to press through this pain and make it to the other side of wellness. Thankful to finally learn that this physical body, although decaying and wasting away outwardly, is a temple which needs to be looked after as best as possible. Out of all this I really do miss going to the gym since it not only kept me in good physical shape but aided in my psychological and mental well-being. I'm sure once I am feeling back up to it I will be back on a treadmill and this extra weight finally be put away.

I am slowly adjusting to my new job. The daily commute is becoming more familiar as well as the neighborhood I once disliked. Funny how enough time spent in a place no matter how depressed and forlorn will with time grow on you. The shuttered storefronts no longer bother me. The uneven cracks in the sidewalk no longer make me feel uneven but I am seeing it for what it is. Even the empty lots dotting the neighborhood no longer call out to me with sadness. I've learned to accept them and no longer see nature growing wild within its confines as an intrusion in this concrete paradise I call home. As for the people in the area, I wish there was more multiculturalism present but that too I am slowly accepting and embracing. I can't hope but wish and daydream some days as I stand on the curb puffing on a cigarette what this area of the season may look like in the age to come. Nature no longer confined to the parameters of rubble and burned down ruins; now growing lush and verdant with vibrant colors. The housing projects on the corner of Ralph Avenue no longer there, now inhabited by beautiful buildings worthy of its inhabitants. I can't wait for that day...a world without poverty and neglect.

Crooked Notes by Idilio Rivera is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

No comments:

Post a Comment